YUM+ BEST & EASY HOMEMADE TORTILLAS
Only 4 ingredients to make this amazing homemade tortilla from scratch!
Eating clean is very important to my health and digestion. When I crave some tacos or anything that requires #Tortillas it should not have a gazillion ingredients.
(Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Vegetable Shortening (Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil), Sugar, Salt, Contains 2% or Less of: Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate ... YOU GET THE POINT RIGHT???
This is why I enforce my little food community to READ YOUR LABELS. I'm very health conscious and like to eat premium and organic product when possible. Since we are in summer now, I usually hop in the train or bus and head to the farmer market where I can purchase REAL INGREDIENTS for way, way, way, inexpensive prices straight from the farms of New Jersey, Upstate New York, or Long island (keeping it local is the best idea to support your local farmers ).
Let's try something "new" with a visual recipe!!! If you like it let me know please :)
But first lets pronounce tortillas the correct way!
" TOR-TEA-YAS "
Tip #1 - Use #authentic "real" ingredients
3 Cups of Gluten Free Maseca Instant Corn Masa (MASECA IS THE BRAND)
2 Cups + (3/4 Cups = 6 OZ) of Warm Water
1 Tsp of Himalayan Salt
1/4 Cup of 100% Avocado Oil (Best Oil in the market)
Tip #2 - Gather a bowl & Dough/Tortilla Presser.
Combine all ingredients w/ your hands, and cover with a clean dish cloth or plate, then let it rest for 10 min.
1. After the 10 min are over, use an ice cream scooper or a measuring cup of 1/3 cup or 1/4 cup, depending how big you want your tortillas and the thickness. You can make up to 15 to 25 tortillas masa (dough balls).
Note: If the masa dough is too watery, its okay, just add a bit more of masa corn flour, it should feel like soft clay (playdough style).
2. Grease your hands, start making all the masa (dough) balls, then set aside but make sure you cover it again. This will prevent the balls to dry up and crack! Take either a Ziploc plastic bag or parchment and cut it into two (2) circles and grease it.
3. Meanwhile, go grab a skillet and put it on medium-high, use your choice of grease. For example: It can be avocado oil spray, butter, or ghee for the skillet. Now coat the skillet lightly with grease and meanwhile start assembling with the presser the tortillas.
4. First, place the cut Ziploc bag or parchment inside the tortilla presser. Place one masa (dough) ball and press down gently. You should have one raw-tortilla ready! yippy!
Note: The Ziploc bag or parchment paper will help you release the raw tortilla easily or carry-it over to the skillet without getting stuck on the palm of your hand.
5. Place the raw tortilla on the skillet and let the masa cook for approximately 4 min on each sides.
There's nothing more authentic than to eat #REALFOOD #YUMISOYUM
Tip #3 - Carefully put all your done tortillas on a parchment paper to preserve them.
Note: While all the tortillas are being cooked in the skillet, I stack them in increments of 5 and then let them cool-off until it's ready to use or you can easily store them away in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
Tip #4 - Enjoy this BEST & EASY HOMEMADE TORTILLAS in town. These are super #TASTY and very super-clean with no Preservative or Non-readable ingredients. (wink-wink).
To use these tortillas in a dish, just reheat them until they become soft again, (you will feel that the texture becomes softer in an instant)- don't panic.
Again, these homemade tortillas heat-up normally like a tortillas that's purchased from the supermarkets, you know the one that get's mass produced and filled with preservative. Yikes! lol... p.s. I'm trying to influence you into making these delicious tortillas at home for your friends and family !
Note: Invest in a tortilla warmer its saves time and headaches!
Tip #5 - Create a delicious dish like Taquitos!
This dish was very satisfying and delicious. What did I used?
YUM+ Homemade Tortillas
Ground Wagyu Beef
Mozzarella or Oaxaca Cheese
Sliced Purple Onions
Homemade Chipotle Crema ( want this recipe too? Comment below).
I reheated the tortilla to make it softer, added the ingredients, folded the tortilla in half, then for last used 1 Tbsp of Avocado Oil and semi-fried them for a super crunch texture. #YumIsoYum
Real Food, Real Ingredient, Happy Gut, Happy Life.
If you want to learn more about easy cultural recipes don't forget to follow me through this eating healthy journey. Subscribe and follow me on Instagram my little food community.