THE CULTURE OF YUM+SPAGHETTI
YUM+Spaghetti was originally born and created in the Caribbean, to be exact—Dominican Republic or as some of you may still know it as-- Hispaniola. Traditionally, this type of cuisine and spaghetti symbolizes culture and tradition; This recipe is super easy to make and delicious… it is the go-to dish for family trips to the rivers and the beaches. In fact, to dig into it a little deeper, I learned about this dish going on family vacations to that beautiful island, this is what makes it more memorable in my opinion. As a matter of fact, this particular pasta dish was recently featured on Bon Appétit, Eaters, Brit+Co, Patch and more. I also wanted to partake in sharing my unique personal recipe for my fans and followers to devour. This, right here, is a perfect dish for the end-of-summer with a simple twist of flavors and ingredients to enjoy for lunch or a quick dinner with the family.
NOTE: Yum+Spaghetti tastes even better the next day, you can warm it up or eat it cold too
Absolutely Perfect + Easy Dominican Spaghetti Recipe
Ready in 25-30 minutes
Serves 2-3 servings (small portions)
1/2 of a Box or Bag of Spaghetti (*) Please add salt to the water when boiling.
1/2 - 1 Cup of Salami (Smoked Cooked) or Cured Sausage ( Pork or Beef ) SEE NOTE BELOW FOR THE SALAMI / CURED SAUSAGE
2 Tbsp of butter
1 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion Diced
4 Tbsp of Tomatoes Paste
1-2 Roma Tomatoes (minced)
4 Cloves of Garlic (mashed or grated)
1/2 Cup of Carnation Evaporated Milk or Heavy Cream
1 Tsp of Himalayan Salt
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1-2 Tbsp of Green Olives & Capers (diced)
1/2 Cup of Grated Parmesan Cheese
NOTE: Head over to your Hispanic Aisles, Ethnic Aisles, or Specialty Foods section and look for my preference brand-- Induveca Salami Smoked Cooked
(Tip: You can find it on Amazon for a hefty price if you've never been to the Hispanic / Latino aisles.)
YUM+FOOD FACTS: Embrace different types of foods and cultures--This will enable you to open up your palate. Always, try to experience flavors of the world. - Iso Rapalo
1. Gather, Prep, Diced and Minced: onions, tomatoes, olives, capers and mashed garlic.
2. In a pot, add water and salt, boil the spaghetti softer than Al-Dente (it’s a must - trust me).
3. Drain and set-aside until the sauce is ready.
1. Assemble time: In a heavy-duty saucepan and a wooden spork (Spoon/Fork). Add the Butter and Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the saucepan over medium heat. Carefully add the diced onions and garlic until translucent.
2. Next, add the diced Salami/Sausage and cook it until it has a nice brown color - don't burn it. (OPTIONAL, you can also go #meatless with this recipe).
3. Add everything else to the saucepan: tomatoes paste, diced tomatoes, olives & capers and the 1/2 oz of Carnation Milk or heavy cream.
4. Seasoned it with Himalayan Salt & Black Pepper to your taste.
5. Let it simmer and thicken a bit, just for a few minutes (3-5 minutes) until all the flavors are well combined.
6. Final step, at the end-- add the boiled spaghetti and mix well with the sauciness creation above, and please keep in mind the Parmesan Cheese as a finisher/ topping!
...Guess what? You have just created and indulged a
Food+Culture recipe...in one bite #YUMISOYUM !
Follow the step-by-step and adjust the flavors to your taste. You really can't messed this up, my peeps, it's super easy and quick to make!
WOULD YOU LIKE A VIDEO OF THE PROCESS? Comment below or Direct Message !